In the Lap of Parvati Valley – Famous for its Hot Springs and Recreational Activities
If you are an avid nature lover and a trekking enthusiast looking for a beginner’s trek, then the Kheerganga Trek is an excellent option. Located in the Parvati Valley of Himachal Pradesh, this trek is perfect for those who are new to trekking and want to experience the beauty of the Himalayas.
The trek starts from the small town of Barshaini, which is situated at an altitude of 2,050 meters. From there, the trail takes you through lush green forests, sparkling streams, and picturesque villages. The trek is relatively easy, and the altitude gain is gradual, making it perfect for beginners.
The trail is well-marked, and there are many small shops and cafes along the way where you can rest and refuel. One of the highlights of the trek is the natural hot water spring at Kheerganga, where you can relax and soothe your tired muscles after a day of trekking.
The Kheerganga Trek is a 12-kilometer trek that takes approximately 6-7 hours to complete. The best time to do the trek is from March to June and from September to November when the weather is pleasant and the skies are clear. During the monsoon season, the trail can get slippery and challenging, so it is best to avoid trekking during this time.
One of the best things about the Kheerganga Trek is the stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. From the top, you can see the snow-capped peaks of the Himalayas, and on a clear day, you can even catch a glimpse of the famous Pin Parvati Pass.
The Kheerganga Trek is a perfect beginner’s trek that offers a unique combination of adventure, nature, and relaxation. Whether you are looking for a weekend getaway or a short break from the hustle and bustle of city life, this trek is sure to leave you refreshed and rejuvenated.
The trek also offers a chance to interact with the local people and experience their way of life. You can stop at the small villages on the way and try local delicacies such as Siddu, a steamed bread filled with mashed potatoes and spices.
After reaching the top, the first thing to do is to take a dip in the natural hot water springs. The water is believed to have medicinal properties and is said to be good for skin and muscle relaxation. After a refreshing dip, you can explore the surroundings, which offer stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
The top also offers accommodation options such as campsites and guesthouses, so you can spend the night under the stars and enjoy the beautiful sunrise the next day.
Accommodation Options at Kheerganga Trek
Kheerganga Trek offers a variety of accommodation options, including guesthouses, campsites, and homestays. You can choose the option that suits your budget and preferences. It is advisable to book your accommodation in advance, especially during the peak season.
- Camping: Camping is the most popular and affordable option for staying at Kheerganga Trek. There are numerous campsites at the top, which offer tents and sleeping bags for rent. The tents are equipped with basic amenities like mattresses, blankets, and pillows. Most of these campsites also offer food and beverages, including tea, coffee, and snacks. The cost of camping at Kheerganga varies depending on the season, but it is generally affordable.
- Guest Houses: Kheerganga has a few guest houses that offer basic accommodation facilities. The rooms are equipped with basic amenities like beds, blankets, and pillows. Most of these guest houses have shared washrooms, and some even offer hot water facilities. The cost of staying at a guest house is slightly higher than camping, but it is a good option for those who prefer a little more comfort.
- Huts: There are a few huts at Kheerganga that offer accommodation facilities. These huts are equipped with basic amenities like beds, blankets, and pillows. However, the facilities offered at these huts are limited, and they do not have attached washrooms. The cost of staying at a hut is higher than camping but lower than staying at a guest house.
- Tosh: Tosh is a nearby village, located about 18 km from Kheerganga. There are a few guest houses and hotels in Tosh that offer comfortable accommodation facilities. Most of these guest houses have attached washrooms, hot water facilities, and offer meals as well. The cost of staying at Tosh is higher than Kheerganga, but it is a good option for those who prefer a more comfortable stay.
Things to Do During the Kheerganga Trek
- Take a Dip in the Hot Springs: Kheerganga Trek is known for its natural hot springs, which are believed to have healing properties. You can take a dip in the hot springs to relax and rejuvenate your body after a long day of trekking.
- Enjoy the Scenic Views: Kheerganga Trek offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and the Parvati Valley. You can sit back, relax, and enjoy the scenic beauty of the place.
- Visit the Shiva Temple: There is a small Shiva temple in Kheerganga, which is believed to be one of the oldest temples in the region. You can visit the temple and offer your prayers to Lord Shiva.
- Trek to the Tosh Village: Tosh is a small village located about 18 km from Kheerganga Trek Top. You can trek to Tosh to explore the village and its surrounding areas.
Top recreational activities to enjoy while at Kheerganga Trek:
- Soak in the Hot Springs
Kheerganga is home to natural hot springs that are believed to have therapeutic properties. Soaking in these hot springs is an excellent way to relax and unwind after a long trek. The hot water is known to soothe sore muscles and joints, making it the perfect post-trek activity.
- Indulge in Yoga and Meditation
Kheerganga is a great place to practice yoga and meditation. The serene surroundings and fresh mountain air create a perfect environment for these activities. There are several yoga retreats in the area that offer yoga and meditation classes for visitors.
- Enjoy Nature Walks
The stunning landscapes of Kheerganga make it an ideal location for nature walks. Visitors can take leisurely walks through the forests and meadows, breathing in the fresh mountain air and enjoying the scenic beauty of the area.
- Try Local Cuisine
The local food of the Parvati Valley is a must-try for visitors. The area is known for its delicious Himachali cuisine, which includes dishes like Dham, Siddu, and Madra. Visitors can try these dishes at the local restaurants or even at the guesthouses they are staying at.
- Star Gazing
Kheerganga’s clear skies make it an ideal location for stargazing. Visitors can lie back and enjoy the stunning night sky, free from any light pollution. Watching the stars and constellations is an unforgettable experience.
How To Reach Kheerganga?
If you’re planning to visit Kheerganga Trek and wondering how to get there, here are some options to consider:
By Air: The nearest airport to Kheerganga is the Kullu-Manali Airport, located about 43 km away from Bhuntar. From the airport, you can take a taxi or bus to reach Kasol, the base camp for Kheerganga trek. The journey takes about two hours.
By Train: The nearest railway station to Kheerganga is the Pathankot Railway Station, located about 150 km away from Kasol. From there, you can take a bus or taxi to reach Kasol. The journey takes about four hours.
By Road: Kasol, the base camp for Kheerganga trek, is well connected by road to major cities and towns in Himachal Pradesh and nearby states. You can take a bus or taxi from Delhi, Chandigarh, or Manali to reach Kasol. The journey takes about 12-14 hours from Delhi and 8-10 hours from Chandigarh and 2-3 Hours from Manali.
Once you reach Kasol, you need to take a taxi or hike to reach Barshaini, the starting point of the Kheerganga trek. From there, the trek to Kheerganga takes around 6-7 hours, depending on your pace and fitness level. You can also hire a mule or porter to carry your luggage if needed.
Nearby Places to Visit During Kheerganga Trek
Parvati Valley is a stunning valley located in the Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh, India. The valley is named after the Parvati River, which flows through it. The valley is known for its natural beauty, serene landscapes, and vibrant culture.
Tosh, Kalga, and Pulga are three small villages located in the Parvati Valley of Himachal Pradesh, India. These villages are known for their natural beauty, peaceful surroundings, and vibrant culture.
Tosh is a small village located about 18 km from Kheerganga Trek Top. The village is situated at an altitude of 2,400 meters above sea level and is surrounded by snow-capped mountains. Tosh is a popular trekking destination and is known for its scenic beauty, apple orchards, and traditional Himachali architecture. The village offers a range of accommodation options, including guesthouses, campsites, and homestays.
Kalga is a quaint village located about 1 km from Barshaini. The village is situated at an altitude of 2,500 meters above sea level and is known for its stunning views of the surrounding mountains. Kalga is a popular destination among trekkers and is an ideal place to relax and unwind. The village offers a range of accommodation options, including guesthouses and homestays.
Pulga is a small village located about 16 km from Kasol. The village is situated at an altitude of 2,400 meters above sea level and is known for its natural beauty and peaceful surroundings. Pulga is a popular destination among backpackers and is an ideal place to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. The village offers a range of accommodation options, including guesthouses and campsites.
How to Plan Kheerganga Trek?
Planning a Kheerganga Trek can be an exciting adventure, but it requires careful preparation to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip. Here are some steps to help you plan your Kheerganga trek:
- Choose the right time: The best time to visit Kheerganga Trek is between March to June and September to November, when the weather is pleasant and the trekking conditions are favorable. Avoid visiting during monsoon season (July to August) as the trails can be slippery and dangerous.
- Determine your fitness level: Kheerganga Trek is considered an easy to moderate level trek, but it does require a certain level of physical fitness. It’s important to assess your fitness level before embarking on the trek to ensure you can complete it without any health risks.
- Book your accommodation in advance: As Kheerganga is a popular destination, it’s essential to book your accommodation in advance, especially during peak season. You can choose from various accommodation options, including tents, guesthouses, and homestays.
- Hire a guide or join a group: If you’re a first-time trekker or unfamiliar with the trail, it’s recommended to hire a guide or join a trekking group. They can help you navigate the trail and provide insights into the local culture and history.
- Pack appropriately: Make sure you pack all the essential items such as comfortable clothing, hiking shoes, rain gear, sunscreen, and a first aid kit. It’s also essential to carry enough water and snacks to keep you energized throughout the trek.
- Stay informed: Before you start the trek, make sure you have all the necessary information about the trail, including the distance, elevation, and the estimated time it will take to complete. You can also check weather conditions and trail updates from the local authorities or your guide.
- Respect the environment: It’s important to be responsible and respectful towards the environment during the trek. Make sure you don’t litter, avoid using plastic, and follow the Leave No Trace principles to minimize your impact on the natural surroundings.
Here is Sample Itinerary for Kheerganga Trek from Delhi:
Day 1: Delhi to Barshaini
- Arrive at Kasol early in the morning (You can get Overnight Volvo Bus from Delhi).
- Board a local bus or hire a taxi to reach Barshaini, which is the starting point of the trek.
- The journey takes around 1 hour, depending on traffic.
- On reaching Barshaini, check-in to your guesthouse or homestay or camps and rest for a while.
- Explore the village in the evening and try local food.
- Enjoy Overnight Stay at Barshaini
Day 2: Barshaini to Kheerganga Trek Top
- Start the trek early in the morning after breakfast.
- The trek is around 12 km long and takes around 6-7 hours, depending on your fitness level and pace.
- The trail passes through lush green forests, waterfalls, and small villages.
- On reaching Kheerganga, check-in to your campsite or guesthouse and rest for a while.
- In the evening, take a dip in the natural hot water springs and relax.
Day 3: Kheerganga to Barshaini and back to Kasol/Delhi
- Wake up early and witness the beautiful sunrise from Kheerganga.
- Have breakfast and start the descent back to Barshaini.
- The trail is the same as the ascent and takes around 4-5 hours.
- On reaching Barshaini, board a local bus or hire a taxi back to Kasol/Bhuntar.
- The journey takes around 1 Hour/3-4 hours.
- Reach Bhuntar by late afternoon and in the evening take a bus back to Delhi.
Things to carry on Kheerganga Trek:
- Trekking shoes: A good pair of trekking shoes with proper ankle support and a sturdy sole is a must for this trek.
- Backpack: A lightweight backpack with a capacity of 30 liters to carry your essentials and extra clothing.
- Clothing: Carry comfortable and breathable clothing that will keep you warm and dry. Pack warm clothes like a down jacket, a woolen cap, and gloves for the night. Carry quick-drying t-shirts, trek pants, and shorts for the day.
- Rain gear: Carry a good quality raincoat or poncho to protect yourself from unexpected rainfall.
- Water bottle: Carry a reusable water bottle with a capacity of at least 2 liters to stay hydrated.
- Snacks: Carry energy bars, nuts, and dry fruits to keep yourself energized during the trek.
- Trekking poles: Trekking poles help reduce the impact on knees and provide support on steep descents.
- First aid kit: Carry a small first aid kit with essential medicines, bandages, and antiseptics.
- Torch: Carry a small, lightweight torch with extra batteries and bulbs.
- Sunscreen, Hat or cap and sunglasses: Protect yourself from harmful UV rays with a good quality sunscreen, round hat or Cap and wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun.
Note: It is always advisable to pack light and carry only the essentials to make the trek comfortable and enjoyable.
Best Cafe’s At Parvati Valley:
Parvati Valley in Kasol is known for its beautiful landscapes, peaceful environment, and delicious food. Here are some of the best cafes in Parvati Valley Kasol that you should visit:
- The Evergreen Cafe: This cozy cafe is located in the heart of Kasol and is known for its delicious Israeli food, especially hummus and falafel. The cafe also has a beautiful garden area to relax and enjoy the mountain views.
- Moon Dance Cafe: Moon Dance Cafe is a popular cafe located near the Kasol market. It is famous for its trout fish, momos, and hot chocolate. The cafe has a beautiful outdoor seating area with a stunning view of the valley.
- Jim Morrison Cafe: This psychedelic-themed cafe is located in the Chalal village and is known for its live music, delicious food, and friendly staff. The cafe also has a rooftop seating area with a stunning view of the Parvati river.
- Little Italy: As the name suggests, Little Italy is a popular Italian cafe in Kasol that serves delicious pizza, pasta, and lasagna. The cafe has a beautiful garden area with colorful decor and a cozy atmosphere.
- Buddha Place: Buddha Place is a peaceful cafe located in Chalal village that serves delicious food, especially Tibetan and Chinese dishes. The cafe has a beautiful view of the mountains and is perfect for those looking for a quiet and peaceful place to relax.
Note: These cafes are subject to change and there are many other cafes in Parvati Valley that offer great food and ambiance.
The Kheerganga Trek is an excellent option for those who are new to trekking and want to experience the beauty of the Himalayas. With stunning views, well-marked trails, and natural hot water springs, this trek is sure to be a memorable experience. So, pack your bags, put on your hiking shoes, and embark on this beautiful journey into the heart of the Parvati Valley.
Check Out our Weekend Trip to Kasol Kheerganga for Best Experience!